Sunday, March 12, 2006

The 40-Year-Old Virgin


The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Starring: Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Catherine Keener
Written by: Judd Apatow and Steve Carell
Directed by: Judd Apatow

Photo by: Can Mag

As it is with many movies, The 40-Year-Old Virgin was one I had always meant to see, and "never got around to it." It was shameful, I know, to claim myself as a die-hard Carell fan, and not seen the movie that ushered him into stardom, but I had... stuff to do.

But no matter! I have seen it now, and can honestly say that I laughed until I cried. The chest-waxing scene, the speed-dating scene, the end with the whole cast belting out "Age of Aquarius" all had me falling off my chair. But it was the movie's inherent sweetness that really got me. In many ways, the DVD cover says it all- Andy looking glowing, boyish, full of wide-eyed naivete. Andy's virginity is not the only thing keeping him from happiness. He's a social misfit, the kid in high school constantly being stuffed in his locker. His whole demeanor is slightly uncomfortable throughout the entire movie, and you can feel his embarrassment. You feel sorry for Andy, and cheer for him, but not so much that you feel uncomfortable also laughing at him. It's a tricky tight-rope walk, and Carell walks it masterfully.

On the other side of the aisle are his gruff, but ultimately kind, friends (Paul Rudd, Romany Malco and Seth Rogan,) who all have advice for Andy's problem. They are really three icons of manhood- Jay (Malco) is the player, constantly cheating on his girlfriend and hitting on drunk girls in bars. Cal (Rogan) is the tattooed "man's man," opting for the aloof bad-guy approach. And Rudd is the SNAG (sensitive new-aged guy,) obsessed with his ex-girlfriend, loving her and hating her in the same breath. In the end none of these approaches work for Andy- only learning to grow up, giving away his precious action figures and admitting who he is gets him the girl.

But let's not get so sappy (or, God-forbid, read too much into this little gem) because in the end it's simply a fantastic comedy- one of the many recently coming from director/producer Judd Apatow and a new generation of comedians recently dubbed the "Frat Pack." I wouldn't be surprised if the chest-waxing scene went down in history as comedic genius, like Monty Python's "Knights who Say Ni!," or Tom Cruise's dance scene in Risky Business. Carell deserves the lauding he got when the movie first came out, and I'm also giving props to Catherine Keener, for her wonderful performance as the "hot Grandma" Andy falls for. Finally, Rudd, Rogan and Malco are absolutely hilarious as Andy's friends, without being too over-the-top (I expect to hear the 'Know how I know you're gay' sketch referenced mercilessly.)

It's been difficult lately to find a comedy that wasn't either completely forgettable, or something I only wish I could block from my memory. Carell is due to act in eight more films in the next three years; it'll be exciting to see what this meticulous comedian can come up with next.

No comments: