Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Continuation of Wrath

I'm really trying not to hate The Da Vinci Code yet. I'm really, really trying. I'm seeing it tonight, and I'm really trying to keep an open mind.

Yet I can't help but feel a little savage glee at the recent reviews of the film at the Cannes Film Festival. Among other things, it's called "talky," and "boring," and The Hot Blog cited a "clusterfuck of attention seekers wanting to be proclaimed The First to Pan Da Vinci!" It's almost startling the voracity at which the reviewers turned on their media darling, like wolves on a weak member of the pack.

I did hear one positive review. Half asleep at a friends house, I watched a very surreal episode of Entertainment Tonight with botoxed, speed-freak Mary Hart at the Cannes. After taking about an hour to talk about what dress she was wearing and how much her necklace is worth, she went to the movie and said afterward (quote) "I have just one word for it- WOW!"

I really am trying to keep an open mind. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the word I'm going to think of after the movie won't be "wow." Just a hunch.

No comments: